Monday, March 23, 2009

Spinward Fringe: The Facebook Group

It is everywhere, it is all around us, even now in this very room, you can see it when you look out your window, or when you turn on your television, when you go to work. It's not the Matrix, it's Facebook.

Discussions begin between friends and acquaintances that are both recent and from the distant past and people interact with this social system using their computers, cellphones, and other devices that are both portable and not. The viral nature of Facebook has gotten it uncountable mentions on television, in film and even in recent permanent written EMedia and print.

As with many people who have seen other social networks come and go on the Internet, I was hesitant to pay too much attention to it, even though I knew it has become so prevalent that some people have actually shunned their email in favour of only communicating through Facebook (which I think is a terrible idea, but that doesn't change what that kind of personal investment means).

So, after being asked if there was a group for Spinward Fringe or myself for the 20th or so time, I finally gave in and created a group. Over the last few months I've also had people emailing me with questions about the technology, the characters and the settings in the books, and I started to think having a place for discussion might be good so people could actually bring those questions up in a more public forum and I have to admit it seems that Facebook has a good basic system for that.

I'm sure there are other things that this group will be good for, and that brings up the thing I like about the Facebook Group system the most: The fact that users can add and change things as they see fit. I actually hope that this becomes active, that this gives people a place to go after they've read one or all of the books to get in touch with other readers. I also hope that you guys take over to a great extent since I'm very interested to see what other people would do with this space.

Without further adeu, here's the link to the new Facebook Group called: Randolph Lalonde and Spinward Fringe Crew

Make it yours, that's what it's there for!

RL

No comments: